[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Hollow - HarryLovesHermione.com's HHr Forums • View topic - The Cursed child, fanfictions and Harmony

The Cursed child, fanfictions and Harmony

Just talk HHr till your fingers fall off from all the typing. No debating the merits of HHr vs other ships, though. We win. We always win so there is no debate.

All HHr talk is allowed, as is general HP talk, book and movie discussion, moments, quotes, websites, actor discussion, etc. Whatever you want. But absolutely no non-HHr ship threads, please!

Get creative!
Hi guys long time no see!

Anyway I recently read the plot of the Cursed Child somewhere. Regarded as the eighth Harry Potter book it's actually a play.

The plot basically is a cheap rip off of fanfiction tropes. It deals with time travel and Alternative universes. However fanfics have already done it in much better manner. But anyway coming to the real topic, through this book I believe that JKR has basically legitimised fanfiction and the idea of AUs concomitant with alternative interpretation of the books. Something I am sure the rigid canon shippers certainly won't like.

Though it would have been a good idea if Rowling has made up to Harmony fans by showing one universe where Harry and Hermione would be together. But never mind. Rowling has already accepted that she should have gone for Harmony and her latest books legitimises alternative interpretation of her books. So I guess it no longer matters that Harmony didn't happen in books. We have far superior fanfictions for that.
Harmony Forever!
chirag84

Like you, I've seen plot summaries of "The Cursed Child". I refuse to buy/read the book. And I agree - my first impression was that it was a fan-fic, and not a very good one at that. I don't know how much of that is due to authorship - if I understand correctly, two other writers approached Rowling with the idea and she okayed it and assisted with it.

I also agree that Rowling should have made sure that Harry and Hermione were officially together in one of the alternates - that would have been the closest she'll ever come to a proper apology for H/Hr fans. But whether it was her or the other two authors, it was all about re-emphasizing the canon ships. Amusingly enough, someone who did read the entire script pointed out that Ron's character has been decimated to nothing more than comic relief while the most in-character scene was a point where Harry stood in defense of Hermione over some choice she made as minister. So, you know, Harmony is still always there, under the surface.

I think the idea of fanfiction was legitimized already, though. When you have post-canon Sherlock Holmes stories published as "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" and a mediocre author making millions after publishing a "Twilight" fanfic with the characters' names changed ("Fifty Shades of Grey"), fanfic is real, yo.
avidbeader

So she didn't even write the thing really? Jeez. See my "sell out" comment elsewhere.
I'd rather blow my brains out than read or see TCC in any form.
I have to say that if Harry doesn’t end up with Hermione, my second choice has to be Luna, that girl is so cool! I really don’t like Ginny…
—Daniel Radcliffe (Celebrity Extra, November 2005)
iank

I agree that to certain extent fanfiction have already been legitimised. But when Rowling finally puts a seal on the idea of AUs it makes the alternate interpretation of the canon even more legitimate. And it really shuts up the mouth of any canon shipper who from the beginning have rejected any alternative interpretation of the books.
Harmony Forever!
chirag84

lol The way some of them are/were, you'd think the series was a religious text. :lol:
I have to say that if Harry doesn’t end up with Hermione, my second choice has to be Luna, that girl is so cool! I really don’t like Ginny…
iank

chirag84 wrote:I agree that to certain extent fanfiction have already been legitimised. But when Rowling finally puts a seal on the idea of AUs it makes the alternate interpretation of the canon even more legitimate. And it really shuts up the mouth of any canon shipper who from the beginning have rejected any alternative interpretation of the books.

I don't think we'll ever see some of the canon shippers shut up. A Harry and Ginny shipper has suddenly popped up over at Fiction Alley Park and what was supposed to be a vent thread about Rowling's extra/non-canon info is about to devolve into a new shipwar. This person refuses to accept that Rowling pretty much admitted Ron and Hermione don't work and clings to that ridiculous and unsupported-in-canon "soulmates" bit from back in the day.

And it doesn't help that the new play essentially reinforces (without Rowling including any marriage counseling references) Ron and Hermione by having them either be together or apart and miserable in all the various timestreams. If Rowling or her co-authors were genuinely serious about showing different destinies, then somewhere along the line Harry and Hermione should have been together.

But I'm not going to buy the book or see the play or even read the seventh book. I'll just keep playing with fanfic and fanart and enjoying the best possibilities of HP.
avidbeader

Sounds ghastly.
iank

There is something I never understood, what exactly canon shippers like about canon ships??? Why they like Ron/Hermione or Harry/Ginny so much? Whats the appeal in these pairings? And what is their problem with Harmony?

Rowling may seem to have reinforced the idea of canon pairings mainly because if she shows a time stream where Harry and Hermione are together, then it shows that she was wrong to call Harmonians delusional. And her ego will never allow that. Besides she doesnt the want any backlash from canon shippers.

But never mind, the fact that she has acknowledged the idea of multiple time streams means that she is tacitly admits that there are infinite time streams and possibilities. And in at least one of these time streams Harry and Hermione are together.
Harmony Forever!
chirag84

chirag84 wrote:There is something I never understood, what exactly canon shippers like about canon ships??? Why they like Ron/Hermione or Harry/Ginny so much? Whats the appeal in these pairings? And what is their problem with Harmony?

Well, that's why ship debates happened and grew into ship wars. For those who are passionate about their ship and/or totally turned off by the other ship, no other reading is possible.

I can understand why some people might be attracted to the Harry and Ginny thing if for whatever reason they identified with Ginny and the idea of growing up and eventually landing the person they'd been crushing on forever and ever. I understand that the bickering couple is a thing and has been since at least Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew". I get that these ship concepts exist and somewhere I'm sure there are more good examples in the world besides the first season or two of "Moonlighting".

But in my opinion, Rowling wrote them horribly. Ginny's development is essentially zero to 60 in ten seconds and totally unbelievable, THEN Rowling shoves her back offstage for most of the last book. Even the Harry and Ginny shipper over on Fiction Alley admits she likes the idea of the ship and the fanfic better than what Rowling did.

Ron and Hermione as written on the page are not believable. There is no steady evidence of underlying respect or affection to balance the arguing. Again, it takes fanfic (and fanfic that is pretty out of character for one or both of them) to create anything resembling a lasting relationship between them.

And I think that's a huge reason a lot of canon shippers hate Harmony so much. H/Hr in canon is the best example of friends and dips numerous times into the territory of becoming more. People who are interested in Harry or Hermione get jealous of the other, not Ron or Ginny - the assumption by other characters in canon is that Harry and Hermione are a given. And as it turns out, Rowling wasn't even trying to write romance for them - the characters led her in that direction until it was almost too late and she had to try and wrench things back to her wish-fulfillment goals.

Harry and Hermione are such a potentially strong ship that the opposition has to come up with things like "brother and sister" or "boring - arguments that are at best opinions and easy to pull apart. And that upsets the canon shippers more than anything, because they can't give truly strong, sustainable arguments against Harmony.

Rowling may seem to have reinforced the idea of canon pairings mainly because if she shows a time stream where Harry and Hermione are together, then it shows that she was wrong to call Harmonians delusional. And her ego will never allow that. Besides she doesnt the want any backlash from canon shippers.

Possibly, but it seems like she missed a golden opportunity to sort of please both sides: show an alternate timeline with Harry and Hermione together, but end the play with the Giant Reset Button (TM). But with the presence of two other authors, who knows how much of it was her influence?
avidbeader

I haven't got the link but there was a rather amusing mainstream news article in the Washington Post I think the other day about how Rowling was once worshipped as a God by fans, but is risking becoming George Lucas and that many fans now no longer regard "canon" as this sacred thing and more as a starting point for more interesting interpretations.
Sums it up, I think.
iank

I had a feeling somewhat when the CC was becoming a real thing in terms of a play, that I knew I wouldn't like it. And now it's been proven true. I have read the script or seen the play, and I refuse to knowing all that occurred. :/
Lady Asphodel

Return to HARRY & HERMIONE CHAT