[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Hollow - HarryLovesHermione.com's HHr Forums • View topic - So... now what?

So... now what?

Just a few words about the article where JKR admits that she wishes she'd have paired Harry with Hermione.
So for anyone who's been living under a rock and isn't aware, JK Rowling recently divulged in an interview with Emma Watson that, in hindsight, she would have preferred Harry and Hermione to end up together rather than RHr or HG.

Yay!

So we're all happy, of course. We feel a bit vindicated from the years of bullying and flaming and childish namecalling that's we've all endured for years for the sin of liking a non-canon pairing. We all liked what we saw with Harry and Hermione (or I should say, what we 'read'). Despite there being no 'evidence' or in-your-face romance between the two, we liked the potential of what Harry and Hermione could have been.

So I think, as a collective group, we deserve a few 'told ya so's'. I totally appreciate and understand that. Hell, I'll join you! Seeing as how I got thousands of hate mails and even some honest-to-goodness threats, I think I've earned a few, too!

That being said, I just want to remind people that ALL FLAMERS ARE IDIOTS! If you've learned nothing else from my website, you've at least learned that. So while we enjoy this little moment -- a little late, if you ask me-- of comeuppance, try not to make your jubilee at other people's expense. Please don't go out and actively bash people of another ship.

Hell yes we can still enjoy it. If the fandom is still active (is it?) and there are still flamers out there (are there? Really? How old are these people now??), I suspect they've been taken down a peg or two. We will always be able to point to this as a slap in their faces any time they say something about how precious their canon is.

But RHr shippers shouldn't feel like they can't still enjoy their ship over what JK has said in this interview. The same way we've never felt we couldn't enjoy our ship despite what she wrote in her books. Enjoy whatever ship you fucking want. That's been my whole point from day one!

So don't flame people or be a bully because you feel like we've won something. We haven't. In fact, I'm not sure I don't kind of hate this need to pair Hermione up all the time instead of letting her just be awesome off on her own somewhere, kicking wizardy ass (it would make some boring non-sexified fanfic, though. Can't have that). But years after fact, we aren't exactly 'winning' something because she admits they'd be a better pairing. Fucking Duh, JK! We knew that a long time ago.

To be honest I'm still glad she didn't write it. She wrote the other ships so badly. I kind of like the idea of HHr that I've created in my own head, rather than a canon version that might not be as great. I mean, do you remember the shitbaggery that was Harry/Ginny? I mean... holy shit. If HHr had been that I'd have burned my book. It's because the HHr friendship was so wonderful that I can think of them in the romantic way that I do. I don't think of RHr in a romantic way at all. And if HHr the way she'd written RHr, we'd never have gotten that beautiful friendship and closeness they had.

So yes... feel good about this. It feels great to know the author has jumped on our side. But we were already here. There's no need to go off and bash people the same way they bashed us. Take the high road and remember that even the author thinks our side is more fun!
katej
Site Admin

Like I said, I agree in general but MAN, some of the bitchiness I've seen from the other side in the last day or so has been a real eye-opener. I've generally stayed away from it all as I really don't need "arguing on the internet" as a hobby but HOLY CRAP. I can only imagine how nasty they were back in the day especially when they "won". :shock:

I dare say they'll be some repercussions in fandom, and some may even jump ship. I'm more interested if there are going to be any real-world ramifications, though.

Chirag and some others have noted how fascistic the whole "absolute canon" mindset is. With JK having admitted in a big way that she is not the all-knowing genius that the more extreme worshippers/"fans" have insisted, maybe it's time to relax a little. Fan-fiction has shown just how many different dramatic and character possibilities this series has, many of which are more interesting and better done than the original - but fan-fic is just that, and some of it is decidedly variable (inevitably). I want to see the end of canon in the mainstream. It's a dead end and I wonder if JK realises this - even if FB is popular, it's not Potter and these characters are what people invest in and want to see more of. I want reboots. I want JK writing alternative endings, I want other mainstream authors writing "official" books with JK's official endorsement. You can have TV series, animations, movies, comics, books etc that don't have to be so tiresomely tied down to this one narrow vision and can explore other options - including H/Hr.
I don't know if this will ever happen but to me it seems both the obvious and the only way to go to keep it as a living thing and not some relic of the 00s. It certainly is not beyond possible that JK might be realising this too, especially if she's as unhappy with some things as she claims. Fingers crossed, is all I can say. All HP fans deserve THEIR version and not just as a dirty little underground secret.

That was a looong rant. But look at all the other big franchises - they almost all do this, have alternative continuities and different versions. It keeps these things alive. Why exclude HP?
I have to say that if Harry doesn’t end up with Hermione, my second choice has to be Luna, that girl is so cool! I really don’t like Ginny…
—Daniel Radcliffe (Celebrity Extra, November 2005)
iank

iank wrote:All HP fans deserve THEIR version and not just as a dirty little underground secret.

Do you actually mean this as written? I mean, do you think there should be a Harry/Draco version she should write, for example? A Hermione/Snape one?
rudy

:lol: Perhaps I should have added "within reason". :mrgreen:

My point remains though. Why limit other possibilities? Fan-fic has shown that the series and characters can travel down numerous different paths, many more satisfying than the original, and most other big franchises long since realised the value of different continuities etc to expand the possibilities. Absolute canon is limiting and destructive.
I have to say that if Harry doesn’t end up with Hermione, my second choice has to be Luna, that girl is so cool! I really don’t like Ginny…
—Daniel Radcliffe (Celebrity Extra, November 2005)
iank

Sorry guys, I meant to lock this topic after I posted. It's just the board position on the issue.

I'll leave your responses as is but I'd rather convos took place in the chat. So...locking up.
katej
Site Admin

Return to SOME QUICK THOUGHTS ABOUT JKR'S ANNOUNCEMENT...